Saturday, January 21, 2012

Meaningful event to start off in 2012, the year I turn 21.

The previous post was mentioning about me and the good deeds that I am going to do for 2012, here it is, my second good deed. Very honored to be invited by Omy.sg for [omy media invite] Have a Prosperity and meaningful meal with McDonald's and the seniors this CNY!

Yup, this big big header said that Samantha is going to spend the evening with the old folks at McDonald! Don't get me wrong, I am not being or try to be sarcastic. Indeed was quite happy when I received the invitation because, I hardly will get a chance to do something like that. It is like doing a small little part to give to the less fortunate community considering myself to be blessed in everything I have now.

Also maybe because I just turned 21, my mind seems to be more sympathies to the seniors. This proves two things, i am more sensible and mature now.

It's true people. Think about it, you will only do this kind of community work when you are in primary/secondary school or perhaps still schooling for the sake of earning CIP points (community involvement program).

Recap on what is CIP, CIP is actually part of a CCA grading system called LEAPS. It awards points in 5 categories, namely Leadership, Enrichment, Achievement, Participation and Service. CIP comes under Service, where each student is required to perform minimum 6 hours of community service per year which include visiting of old folks' home or school for the disabled children and fund raising so on. If I am not wrong, this is how the CIP system works in all schools.

So with the system, I admit I used to do my CIP just to complete my hours and get the point. Not a voluntary attitude and never gets the real meaning of doing community service. Oh my, I sound like a bad bad student. Please do not judge me or label me as something nasty. I am still good by nature or at least I had changed to be better.

Back to the main topic, as you know McDonald is a fast food place with reasonable pricing and everybody love it, but they are actually more then that. They have gone beyond these dimensions and think of the broader role the restaurants play in the communities they serve. The Ronald McDonald House's Charity is one of the organization that provide hope and support to sick children in Singapore whose families cannot afford the medical treatment they need.


"Over $2 million raised to help sick children in SingaporeWorking through the Ronald McDonald House’s Charity, McDonald’s Singapore has raised over $2 million to support children with serious illnesses since 1989. Administered by the KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, the funds raised have helped countless families pay for their children’s medical bills, and get all the treatment they need to lead normal, fulfilling lives."






This event that I had attended is for the elderly. The McDonald’s service crew will be playing host to a total of 38 seniors and 2 volunteers from Lion Befrienders Service Association, and Ronald McDonald himself will be making a surprise appearance and interact with the elderly on that day. The seniors will also be accepting Ang Pows at the end of the event. The event was at Ridout Tea Garden McDonald, a very nice and pleasant place.


Nicely set up tables

I arrived around 6 plus and the elderly were seated at the alfresco. McDonald stuffs were going around to take down all the orders that the seniors want. The stuffs were all very friendly.

Somewhere in the crowd, I spotted a redhead guy. It's Ronald McDonald! He was there chit chatting with the seniors, entertaining them.

Here comes the yummy food, all time favourites.







 
Not to forget all the sauces especially the garlic chili and curry sauce! See how enjoyable the seniors are. Cute aunty gave a thumbs up for the food.



Ronald McDonald going to each and every elder to talk to them. A secret, this Ronald McDonald not only speaks English but also knows Chinese and dialects. 

Not only Ronald McDonald was the shining star on that day, this amazing McDonald senior staff aunty Siew Ping was also a bright shiny star. If ask to guess Aunty Siew Ping's age, I can say she look like 50 plus 60. But her real age is 72. She was full of energy that day, clapping and singing songs to cheer the elderly up and brightened up the atmosphere with her cheerful attitude. I really salute her. Being so old age and is still young at heart and bringing joy to others.


Near to the end of the dinner, Aunty Siew Ping suddenly aroused the crowd again because.....





Ronald McDonald and the Managing Director, Ms Judy Harman were going to  distribute red packets and mandarin oranges to everyone. One of the Mcdonald staff getting ready for all the mandarin oranges.
Happy senior!

Here is Managing Director, Ms Judy Harman going around with Ronald McDonald to give out the ang baos to the elderly.


Everyone wants to take photo with Ronald. 
So do I but please pardon me for my makeup-less face. Yes its still me, Samantha Juliet.

A group photo for the seniors.

Seeing the elderly so happy, Ronald feels happy too! I love this photo!


Wait wait! Before I end my post, there is something I want to share. Dear people, all of you can also help the less fortunate community too by... EATING!

Yes yes just eat and you are doing a good deed because..

McDonald’s will be sharing the gift of prosperity by donating 10 cents from the sale of each Prosperity Feast Meal and Prosperity Extra Value Meal between 1 January to 31 January 2012. All proceeds will go towards the Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore (MINDS) where it will be used to help needy families with children with intellectual disability. 

The star of the Prosperity Feast Meal is the signature Beef Prosperity Burger and Chicken Prosperity Burger which are available in restaurants now till 31 January 2012 (whilst stocks last). Customers will get to savour juicy, tender beef or chicken in spicy black pepper sauce, topped with fresh onions for that festive, feisty bite. 



Yes, I already had my BEEF PROSPERITY BURGER!


Ok, my burger is outside down but then, it still taste GOOD~
Best combination with twister fries and soothing green tea.

So people, do a kind deed by eating. Anyway coffee shop, restaurant or cafe won't be open during CNY. Why not come down to McDonald for a Prosperity Feast Meal this CNY and at the meantime doing a good deed. Make your CNY a yummy, prosperous and meaningful festive with McDonald!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello Samantha!

i didn't get to take a picture with Ronald McDonald personally! You're so lucky! hahahaha

:)

Samantha Juliet said...

Hi,

Hahas. At least you did have a photo with him in a big group! Hope to see the both of you soon! (: